Crochet Pattern, Sunny Day Blanket
The Sunny Day Blanket is a fun crochet pattern worked in a granny square style. This beautiful afghan uses a wide variety of crochet stitches making it a great project for playing with color! This crochet pattern is available to view for free on my blog HERE
This listing is for the ad free pdf to use at your convenience.
Skill Level: Intermediate
Terms: US Crochet Terminology
Materials: 2455 total yards Premier Yarns Everyday Baby #3 DK Light or similar
735 yards Grey
742 yards White
978 yards Yellow
Note: Other sizes of yarn may be used though your final size will vary
Finished Size: 53” x 53”
Gauge: Gauge checks given throughout pattern though it will vary based on the yarn you choose. The Grey and Yellow blanket were made using baby yarn while the rainbow blanket was made using a 4ww yarn resulting in a larger blanket.
st(s) - stitch(es), sl st - slip stitch, ch - chain, yo - yarn over, sc - single rochet,
hdc - half double crochet, dc - double crochet, tr - treble crochet
Double Treble (dtr): Yo 3x, insert hook in indicated st, yo, pull up a loop, [yo, pull through 2 loops on hook]4x
Sliding Loop (also known as the Magic Ring): Wrap yarn clockwise around left forefinger two times to form a ring, holding yarn tail between left thumb and middle finger, insert hook into ring, grab working end of yarn and pull through ring, chain 3, drop from finger, work additional stitches into ring to complete first round, before joining the first round, gently pull the beginning tail to partially tighten the ring. One of the two strands will tighten while the other does not. Pull the tightened yarn, this closes up the other ring strand, pull the beginning tail again to close the ring. A video tutorial is available here:
5 Double Crochet Cluster (5 dcCL): [Yo, insert hook in indicated st, yo, pull up a loop, yo, pull through 2 loops on hook]5x, yo, pull through all 6 loops on hook
3 Double Crochet Cluster (3 dcCL): [Yo, insert hook from front to back around indicated st, yo, pull up a loop, yo, pull through 2 loops on hook]3x, yo, pull through all 4 loops on hook
2 Double Crochet Cluster (2 dcCL): [Yo, insert hook in indicated st, yo, pull up a loop, yo, pull through 2 loops on hook]2x, yo, pull through all 3 loops on hook
Picot: Ch 3, sl st in third chain from hook
Back Post Double Crochet 8 Together (BPdc8tog): [Yo, insert hook from back to front to back around next dc, yo, pull up a loop, yo, pull through 2 loops on hook]8x, yo, pull through all 9 loops on hook (see P7, P8, P9)
Shell: 9 dc in or around indicated stitch
Back Post Double Treble (BPdtr): Yo 3x, insert hook from back to front to back around indicated stitch, yo, pull loop through, [yo, pull through 2 loops on hook]4x
Herringbone hdc: Yo, insert hook in indicated st, yo, pull through stitch and 1 loop on hook, yo, pull through both loops on hook
- Photos showing stitch placement are on the last pages of pattern and are referenced as P1, P2, P3 etc.
- Though I have noted which colors I used for each round for those who want to duplicate the yellow and grey blanket, I encourage you to have fun with color on this pattern and switch up them up where you prefer
- Instructions with *to* are to be worked once and then repeated the number of times indicated
- Instructions with [..] are only worked the number of times indicated to the right of the bracket
- This blanket will need to be blocked. Gauge checks given are at the unblocked stage and may stretch some once blocked
- There are several video tutorials for various stitches throughout this pattern available on my blog to help those who need a visual for stitch placement. https://www.craftingfriendsdesigns.com/bloggingfun/beautiful-sunny-day-square-blanket-free-crochet-pattern
(c) 2019 Copyright by Kate Wagstaff of Crafting Friends Designs
(c) 2019 Photo Copyright by Ash & Co
It is ILLEGAL to copy, share or upload this pattern to sites for others to access. You are welcome to sell the finished items you crochet using this pattern.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for customer service.